Cork Chamber Submits Budget Asks to Government
Competitiveness, tax reform, capital investment and small business support listed as priority areas.
Cork Chamber has issued key recommendations to Government ahead of the annual budget. This comes after we asked 1,200 members about the measures most wanted in the budget.
Our submission includes a number of specific recommendations to improve Cork as a place to work and live. Among these are:
Urgent investment in projects boosting Cork’s competitiveness: The M20 Cork – Limerick Motorway, the Cork Rapid Bus Transit Corridor, the M28 to Ringaskiddy and our port access routes, the N22 Cork-Kerry Road, the Dunkettle Interchange, and the Cork Northern Ring Road
Upgraded intercity rail tracks to reduce the rail journey time from Cork to Dublin
Investment in car parking at Cork Commuter Rail stations to maximise utilisation of our public transport network
Additional State funding for the development of Cork Events Centre
€12m towards the tourism marketing budget for Tourism Ireland to market Ireland and Cork overseas
Mutual political and strategic relations shall remain as tight as possible
'Brexit Beyond the Border' series
In the latest edition of ‘Brexit Beyond the Border’, we spoke to Counsellor Przemyslaw Buczkowski, Head of Section in Trade and Investment in the Polish Embassy. Counsellor Buczkowski shares the Polish outlook on Brexit and highlights the strong relationship between Poland and Ireland and the importance of maintaining a positive relation with the UK post – Brexit.
Click here to read the latest edition.
Building and Leading High Performance Teams
Starts September 25th - Exclusive 2 for 1 offer for Chamber Members - €750
This 5-day workshop on Building and Leading High Performing Teams is designed for professionals who seek to develop their skills in the areas of leadership and communication, in order to build better performing teams, particularly in cases where effective team-work is a fundamental pre-requisite for success. It is highly suitable for those who want directly applicable learning which they can apply immediately on return to their workplace.
The participants also have an opportunity to have 1-1 coaching as part of the process
Secure your place here!
Analysing Training Needs for SME's
Starts September 28th - €125 for Chamber Members
Owner Managers of SME companies can sometimes overlook the importance of defining a Learning and Development Strategy as a tool that can assist them in the achievement of their overall company objectives. Businesses will often have a financial plan, a sales plan and perhaps a vision and mission statement as instruments that can guide their activities.
Secure your place here!
Women in Leadership Executive Lunch
In association with Network Cork
Date: Friday 29th September
Time: 12pm – 3pm
Venue: Clayton Hotel Cork City
Cork Chamber and Network Cork will partner once again to host the Women in Leadership Executive Lunch with guest speaker Caroline O'Driscoll.
As well as being a prominent Cork businesswoman and tax partner with KPMG, Caroline is also a remarkable social entrepreneur, co-founding the award winning IWish programme in 2015. Caroline is also serving as Chair of it@cork, having served on the Board of Directors since 2013.
This is a must-attend networking event with a great mix of Network Cork and Cork Chamber members – Places are limited, so please BOOK NOW to avoid disappointment.
Cork Company of the Year Launch Event
Date: Monday, 2nd October
Time: 12:30pm - 2pm
Venue: Cork Chamber, Fitzgerald House, Summerhill North
Cost: Free - registration essential
We are delighted to announce the launch of the Cork Company of the Year Awards and we would like to invite all members to attend.
You will hear from past winners of the Cork Company of the Year on what the award means for their business, the value of the PR coverage to the impact it had at international levels with colleagues, clients and peers.
This event is open to all businesses who are interested in learning more about this prestigious award and what it can do to help your business connect and grow. You can learn more about the application process itself as our judges, including Vodafone representatives, along with past winners and finalists will be in attendance.
October Business Breakfast, Featuring Sinéad McSweeney, MD Twitter Ireland
In association with the Irish Examiner
Date: Friday 6th October
Time: 7:30am – 9am,
Venue: Cork International Hotel
Cost: €25 members / €50 non-members
Cork Chamber is delighted to welcome Sinéad McSweeney, Managing Director Twitter Ireland as the guest speaker at our October Business Breakfast.
As well as being MD of Twitter Ireland, Sinéad is also VP of Twitter's Public Policy and Communications team in EMEA. A Midleton native, Sinéad has been a key leader within the Twitter team since she joined the company in 2012. Sinéad is a qualified barrister and has a wealth of experience with former roles including Director of Communications for An Garda Síochána, Director of Media and Public Relations for the Police Service of Northern Ireland and Special Adviser to the Minister for Justice, Equality and Law Reform.
Book now to hear Sinéad’s unique story!
The Art of Business
Business After Hours at the Glucksman
Date: Thursday 12th October
Time: 5:30pm – 7pm
Venue: The Glucksman, UCC
Cost: FREE for members
Cork Chamber invite you to spend an extraordinary evening surrounded by the wonder and majesty of the ocean at our upcoming member’s evening hosted by the Glucksman, a cultural and educational institution that promotes the research, creation and exploration of the visual arts.
On the evening you will have the chance to meet and connect with other members and if you need a break from talking business there will be plenty to say about the Glucksman’s current exhibitions Now Wakes the Sea and Deep Maps:West Cork Costal Cultures, both on display until 5th November.
A golf day to remember
Over 30 teams took part in last weeks Annual Golf Classic 2017 in association with City Life. The winning team from ETL Security came out on top with an impressive score of 51.2.
However, our winners had to share the spotlight with Paul O’Connell of Quintas who managed to win the charity Hole-In-One competition with a spectacular shot on the 9th! The competition was sponsored by Jaguar at Johnson & Perrott Mahonpoint, meaning Paul is now the proud owner of a brand new Jaguar XE! Not only was a photographer on hand to capture his and his teammates’ thrilled reaction but there was also a videographer - this can be viewed in the below video.
Thank you to all who contributed to the charity Hole-In-One competition which raised over €1,100, which will be split between the Irish Heart Foundation and the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind. These charities were drawn from a hat during the prize-giving presentation on the day.
Check out the photo gallery from the day here.
Thank you to all supporters who contributed to making the Golf Classic another hugely successful day.
Connect with companies from Pennsylvania during visit to Cork
On October 17th, Cork Chamber will host a delegation from the State of Pennsylvania. The delegation will include Pennsylvania’s local government, the Pennsylvania Chamber of Commerce and Industry and a number of companies who are keen to connect with Cork companies. A summary of the attending companies and the Irish partner they would like to meet are:
- Adhezion Biomedical: Manufacturer of surgical sealants and adhesives for wound management and care, infection prevention, and catheter securement seeks Irish distributor.
- Allegheny Valve & Coupling: Manufacturer of valves, couplings and fittings for the liquid and dry bulk tank transport industry seeks Irish distributor.
- Forta-Fi: Developer/manufacturer of high-tensile strength synthetic fibre reinforcement for asphalt road surfaces seeks connections in Irish road and infrastructure finance and construction.
- ECRI Institute: Non-profit organisation brining the discipline of applied scientific research to discover which medical products, devices, drugs, and processes are best, with the scope of improving patient care, seeks partnerships with hospitals/healthcare providers.
If you would be interested in meeting any of the above companies during their visit to Cork, please contact Eimear and specify the company you would like to meet.
IP4Business Training Roadshow
Date: Monday, 25th September
Time: 10:30 to 16:00
Venue: Enterprise Ireland, East Point Business Park, Dublin 3
Cost: FREE but booking essential
Enterprise Europe Network is hosting IP4Business, in association with the European IPR Helpdesk and the European Patent Academy. The main target group are Intellectual Property managers of SMEs and their colleagues. Places are limited and will be distributed on a first-come-first served basis. Contact Joe Fox further information.
Highlights from Feelgood Friday August
See some highlights from the August Feelgood Friday; The Boardwalk at Electric on South Mall came to life with two live musical performances from High Hopes and Choir Cork City Samba Band.
Thank you to all members who continue to support Feelgood Friday!
Rebel Pedal Cork City - Family Fun Cycle & Picnic
Sunday September 17th, registration from 11am (Fitzgerald’s Park), starts at noon.
Rebel Pedal Family Fun Cycle & Picnic is a 6km family fun cycle through the streets of Cork City followed by music, face-painting, games, bike workshop and a picnic.
The event is going from strength to strength each year and is a great way to enjoy the charming sights of Cork City. Everyone is welcome to join in and for more information click here.
The event is supported by Cork City Council, Cork Sports Partnership, An Garda Siochana, Cork Community Bikes, St. John’s Ambulance, and a large team of voluntary stewards.
Latest Member News
- Cork Chamber Submits Budget Asks to Government - read more
- Proper Consideration Must be Given to the Impact of Local Adjustment Factor in Local Property Tax - read more
- Smarter Egg Offsite Getaway at Garryvoe Hotel, East Cork - read more
- O’Flynn Exhams bolsters firm offering with appointment of new associate - read more
- McAvoy & Associates appoints a Director of Business Advisory -read more
- KPMG take home the Outstanding Achievement in Corporate Social Responsibility Award 2017 - read more
- ReganStein offers a fresh approach to managing Business Projects and Tasks -read more
- Become a Mercy Hero on Friday, October 13th and help patients at The Mercy University Hospital - read more
Fastnet- The Talent Group September Open Days - read more
Share your press releases to our website through our Member Information Centre (MIC). If you have forgotten your login details contact us and we can reset them for you!
Latest Member Offers
- DeepRed Productions: €300 for a website/social media/ or promotional video in September - read more
- Admirror: 20% discount on Admirror advertising - read more
- Clayton Hotel Cork City: 20% OFF Brochure priced treatments over €30 in Essence Spa (Tuesday - Sunday) - read more
- Griffith College Cork: grant of 10% off Tuition Fees - read more
- Spiralli Business Solutions Ltd: 10% off Professional Web Consultancy Services - read more
- Hayfield Manor: September Dining Offers - read more
- The Logiskills Group: FREE on-site skills needs analysis - read more
Do business with fellow Cork Chamber members through sharing an offer. Offers can be submitted through the Member Information Centre (MIC) and all current offers are displayed on our website.
Upcoming Member Events in September
- New Minds College Open Evening: Sept. 11th - 15th - read more
- Irish Management Institute: IMI Information Evening, 13th Sept.- read more
- Crowley Solicitors: GDPR Breakfast Briefing, Sept. 14th - read more
- Merrion Capital: Investment Options Seminar, Sept. 13th - read more
- Culture Night: Cork City, Sept. 22nd - read more
- New Links Training Solutions: Conflict Management QQI Level 6, Sept. 20th - read more. Supervisory Management QQI Level 6, Sept. 21st - read more
- Nimbus Centre: Business Breakfast: Fusion of Applied Technology & Commercial Realities, Sept. 22nd - read more
- The Metropole Hotel: The Cork Gourmet Trail, 23rd Sept. - read more The Riptide Movement Live, 22nd Sept. - read more & Declan O' Rourke, Sept 23rd. - read more
- The Keynes Centre: Reading for Change Book Club, Sept. 25th - read more
- Cork English College: Evening Classes, Sept.25th - read more
- The International Service Design Experience - Service Design Conference, Sept. 26th - read more
- ACE UCC: Short Course: The future of Journalism, Documentary and Marketing, Sept. 27th - read more
- Cork Jobs Week / Job Fair: 28th Sept. - read more
- CILT: Military Logistics Prior to Overseas Deployment, Sept. 28th - read more
- The Hope Foundation: Annual Lunch, Sept. 29th - read more
Promote an upcoming event through our Interactive Member Information Centre, all upcoming member events are listed on our website